Aging is an unavoidable part of life. However, there are things that we can do to age well. Research has shown that DNA only contributes to 25% of longevity. A significant portion of the remaining 75 % is determined by lifestyle. This means that exercising, consuming a nutritious diet, and maintaining a healthy weight can help slow the aging process. Keep reading to see the factors that prevent us from aging well.
An Unhealthy Diet
Scientists have revealed that most Americans don’t meet their dietary recommendations. They may think they are eating well but aren’t getting all the necessary nutrients.
Food plays a crucial role in how long we live. An unhealthy diet exacerbates chronic illnesses like diabetes and cardiovascular disease, leading to inflammation and premature death. Therefore, reducing the number of processed foods you consume and substituting them for nutrient-rich alternatives like vegetables, nuts, and whole grains is essential.
Not Getting Enough Sleep
Adults require seven hours of sleep every night. Unfortunately, about 70 million people in the United States suffer from sleep disorders. This increases their risk of developing conditions like depression and high blood pressure. Chronic insomnia can also lead to premature aging.
Sleep allows the body to repair damaged cells, clear toxins, and replenish energy. It’s essential to get a good night’s rest for overall well-being.
Taking care of your health will help you age well and enjoy your twilight years. Simple habits like eating nutritious meals and getting enough rest contribute significantly to longevity.